Air passenger volume up during the first month of the year
The number of air passengers increased during the first month of 2016. Some 2,606,000 people flew to or from one of Swedavia’s airports in January. That is a 5 per cent increase over the same month last year.
Photo: Nicklas Sternegård
Traffic increased at nine of Swedavia’s ten airports.* International traffic accounted for most of this increase. About 100,000 more people flew in January this year compared to the same month in 2015, an increase of 6 per cent. Passenger growth was greatest on flights to European destinations. However, the fastest growth was in intercontinental scheduled traffic. A total of 1,671,000 international passengers flew in January 2016.
Domestic traffic was also up, about 2 per cent, for a total of 934,000 passengers at the Group’s ten airports.
At Stockholm Arlanda Airport, international traffic grew 5 per cent to 1,245,000 passengers. There were also 360,000 more domestic passengers at Stockholm Arlanda in January, an increase of 2 per cent compared to January 2015.
People from western Sweden also flew more in January this year. International traffic to and from Gothenburg increased 8 per cent to 328,000 passengers. The number of domestic passengers also rose 1 per cent to 97,000.
At Malmö Airport, international passenger volume increased 66,000, a full 20 per cent increase in January compared to last year.
The number of landings at Swedavia’s airports in January 2016 was 15,333, which is a 2 per cent increase compared to January last year.
Key figures for January 2016:
- The number of passengers increased at nine of Swedavia’s ten airports in January 2016
- European traffic was up 7 per cent
- The fastest growth, 8 per cent, was in scheduled intercontinental traffic
- Passenger volume was up 10 per cent at Åre Östersund Airport and 9 per cent at Malmö Airport.
- Passenger volume was up at Swedavia’s two biggest airports, 5 per cent at Stockholm Arlanda and 6 per cent at Göteborg Landvetter.
*A slight decrease (3 per cent) was noted at Kiruna Airport.