2012-10-26, kl. 14:30
“Travelling with your children creates unity and a sense of togetherness in the family. That’s important with many families living such disparate lives with work, school, daycare and after-school activities. Good planning is an effective way to reduce stress when it comes to travel. Then it will be easier to relax and feel that sense of anticipation before a holiday you already start to get when you’re at the airport,” says Michael Persson Gripkow, chief commercial and marketing officer at Swedavia.
Taking small children on a flight can be a challenge, but there are some helpful hints to make things easier. Here’s a list of tips to make travel with your family smoother, easier and more enjoyable.
Ten tips: How to make a trip with your children easier and more fun
- At Malmö Airport there is a playground after the security checkpoint. Children will have a chance to run off a little energy there before they board the plane. Most areas in the airport have windows that are low to the ground so small children can stand and watch the planes.
- Harnesses are a smart way to carry small children in the airport environment.
- It’s a good idea to leave the family’s heavy jackets with the baggage storage service or in storage lockers if your trip is to a warm destination.
- It’s always free of charge to take protective gear for babies, but you may need to check it in. It’s a good idea to bring the packing material so things go quickly and smoothly.
- Allow enough time in advance so that neither the children nor the adults are stressed. Then the whole experience will be much more fun.
- Remember to travel in soft, comfortable clothes. It may be nice to take your child’s own pillow or blanket.
- You can take baby food in your hand baggage. Pack it in clear plastic bags so it’s easy to pass through security.
- It’s a good idea to “mark” smaller children with their parents’ mobile phone number in case you lose each other at the airport.
- Sometimes children get to board first, but it’s also a good idea to wait until last because then the wait on the plane won’t be as long.
- There are strollers for hire before the security checkpoint once you’ve checked in your own pram.