We use cookies on this website.
By using this website, you consent to how we use cookies. You can obtain more information and find out what settings you can change here.

Growing number of passengers flying on holiday from Luleå Airport

2013-07-09, kl. 16:33

In all, 14,553 people from the County of Norrbotten travelled to warmer climes in June, an increase of 12 per cent compared to last year. That indicates more and more people are discovering the convenience of flying non-stop from their home airport. A total of 98,763 passengers flew to and from Luleå Airport in June.

Domestic traffic was also on the rise, increasing 1 per cent in June, from 83,692 to 84,210 passengers. During the first six months of the year, a total of 547,299 passengers flew to or from Luleå Airport. That is an increase of 1 per cent compared to last year, from 553,045 to 547,299 passengers. Domestic traffic was down 2 per cent, from 509,159 to 501,444 passengers. International traffic increased 4 per cent, from 43,886 to 45,855 passengers.

“We are extremely pleased about the passenger growth in June, both in domestic and especially in international traffic, which increases with every year. That illustrates the positive efforts made by tour operators at Luleå Airport, with more departures to destinations around the Mediterranean attracting people from northern Sweden who are interested in travel,” says Ann-Christin Viklund, airport director.    

The airport has also been accredited for its climate work at the highest level, 3 +, in the Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) programme. The fact that Luleå Airport has achieved the highest level of certification for the second straight year means among other things that the airport is totally climate-neutral in terms of carbon dioxide emissions from its own operations. The highest level is also proof that Luleå Airport works proactively with other companies at the airport to reduce their carbon dioxide emissions as well.   

“We are very proud of this certification, which is confirmation of the proactive, focused environmental work we carry out at the airport and at Swedavia,” Ms Viklund adds.