2012-10-30, kl. 16:01
“Travelling with your children creates unity and a sense of togetherness in the family. That’s important with many families living such disparate lives with work, school, daycare and after-school activities. Good planning is an effective way to reduce stress when it comes to travel. Then it will be easier to relax and feel that sense of anticipation before a holiday you already start to get when you’re at the airport,” says Michael Persson Gripkow, chief commercial and marketing officer at Swedavia.
Taking small children on a flight can be a challenge, but there are some helpful hints to make things easier. Here’s a list of tips to make travel with your family smoother, easier and more enjoyable.
Ten tips: How to make a trip with your children easier and more fun
- At Stockholm Arlanda there are three play areas: one in Terminal 4 and two in Terminal 5. Children have a chance to run off a little energy there before they board the plane. Most areas in the airport have windows that are low to the ground so small children can stand and watch the planes.
- Harnesses are a smart way to carry small children in the airport environment.
- It’s a good idea to leave the family’s heavy jackets with the baggage storage service or in storage lockers if your trip is to a warm destination.
- It’s always free of charge to take protective gear for babies, but you may need to check it in. It’s a good idea to bring the packing material so things go quickly and smoothly.
- Allow enough time in advance so that neither the children nor the adults are stressed. Then the whole experience will be much more fun.
- Remember to travel in soft, comfortable clothes. It may be nice to take your child’s own pillow or blanket.
- You can take baby food in your hand baggage. Pack it in clear plastic bags so it’s easy to pass through security.
- It’s a good idea to “mark” smaller children with their parents’ mobile phone number in case you lose each other at the airport.
- Sometimes children get to board first, but it’s also a good idea to wait until last because then the wait on the plane won’t be as long.
- You can rent protection for strollers and prams (baby carriages) at the airport. It can be picked up and returned at the airport. There are strollers for hire after the security checkpoint once you’ve checked in your own pram.