Passports, visas and ID cards

You must be able to show your identification when you are travelling. Consider that sometimes a visa may be required.


When you travel abroad, you need to show your identification, either with a passport or national ID card.

If you have a Swedish passport, you can get more information from the police, or alternatively contact your embassy.
Swedish Police website (new window).


A visa is required for travel to certain countries. Contact your travel agency or the country's embassy for more information about visas and their application process.

Passenger security checkpoints

When you travel as an EU citizen to countries that are part of the Schengen cooperation, there are usually no passenger security checkpoints, but you must still be able to show your passport or national identity card in order to prove your citizenship

There are passenger security checkpoints when travelling to countries that are not part of the Schengen cooperation, and you must always be able to show your passport.